Hi, my name is Darren, I am married to Raewyn and we have two children. We have a smokefree home in Greerton, and two pets, Charlie the Cat and Flopsy the Bunny.
I provide a balance of structure and flexibility in my programme. Every morning we go out to playgroups, music groups or toddler time at the library. And then we come home for lunch and a more relaxed afternoon.
I am a fully qualified and registered teacher. I have a B.Ed (Teaching) in Early Childhood Education with a specialism in literacy, I have been working with Kids at Home since 2011. Previously I worked for five years as a teacher in various centres, and prior to that I worked for the Deparment of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) and I have an NZCS in Analytical Chemistry. I retrained as a teacher as I accidentially got poisoned by one of the chemicals I was working with. I think the curiosity and delight that young children have for their world is very similar to that of a scientist, and I delight in nurturing that curiosity in a stable and caring environment which I think is critical to providing the foundations for a lifelong learner.
I enjoy working with all children from birth to school age, but I have a particular passion for working with children who for one reason or another struggle to cope with the busy environment I have seen in large daycares. I have done the Incredible Years parenting course and I also have a computer technicians certificate, a diploma in adult education, a certificate in te ara reo māori, and have worked as a swimming teacher at CCS.
- Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood Education with a specialism in literacy
- Five years experience teaching in a centre environment
- Six years experience as an Home-based Educator with Kids at Home
- Experience working as a swimming instructor
- Certificate in Te ara reo māori
- Diploma in Adult Education
- First Aid Certificate
- NZCS in Analytical Chemistry
- Completed the Incredible Years parenting course
- Computer technicians certificate
- Spaces available, please enquire for days/hours